Friday, April 24, 2009

Trisha sundress



This dress is so much fun. I love it. I had a few frustrations making it, namely that I couldn't get the length of the elastic right in the back. After the third time, I thought I had it and went ahead and constructed the dress only to try the dress on Kenna and realize that it was really still too big. I didn't have the heart to rip out the whole thing in order to fix it, so it will just have to be a little big.
It should be just under her shoulder blades in the back, it's sitting at waist level instead. The construction is rather unique, after sewing the skirt onto the finished bodice, you sew the skirt lining in so that the seam will be enclosed. The wrong side of the lining is facing the wrong side of the skirt so the inside looks very nice.










I think I'm going to make this one again in a hot pink pin dot fabric. I'll cut it longer (cut the bodice a 6 and the length an 8) and I'll make sure that back elastic is like I want it before sewing the skirt on. I'm probably not going to do piping on the next one either, just for a different look





I started not to do the flower, especially after I "lost" the first covered button I made. But I'm so glad I did. It was really very easy and it turned out so cute!















Kenna loves the dress. She twirled and leaped and kept telling me how everyone is going to say how pretty she looks. ;-)

.

1 comment:

ashley.and.graham said...

I think the dress and Kenna look so cute!! and I love the piping. I have to admit I'm a little jealous of your monogramming but maybe I'll get a machine some day - I bet it's addictive :). Tell the family hello for me!
ashley